Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My Child

poem by Vanessa Shields

My child will know that he is capable of teaching himself and that I have complete confidence in his self-teaching abilities.

My child will know that he will not be ridiculed for wanting to learn something deemed too advanced for him.

My child's unique and individual style of learning will be honoured.

My child will know the importance of free time. My child will know the importance of FUN.

My child will know that learning is fun.

My child will be respected as an individual.

My child will be allowed to explore his own interests.

My child will see and hear the lessons, not just read about them.

My child will know that life is not about what grades he received.

My child will not be forced to wear a uniform.

My child will be allowed to read books, even if they are not for his age group.

My child will not be forced to associate only with children his age.

My child will learn to think, not what to think.

My child will be allowed to express him opinions even if they go against my beliefs.

My child will be allowed to learn how to structure himself when he is ready.

My child will be allowed to form his own interests without having them based out of peer pressure.

Thanks Andrea for posting this on the HE-SPECIAL-UK mailing list.

2 comments:

mcewen said...

Excellent, almost perfect, apart from the uniform one, but I think that's my laundry gene fighting back!
Cheers

HomeSchooling Ologist said...

I wrote that so long ago I never realized that had been sent on. I actually wrote it as a child's rights statement when the local public school was indentifying him as a special needs child. I felt the school should honor the rights of children in special needs settings. Still working on it while I keep my son at home.

'Nessa
www.lsautism.org