Saturday, July 12, 2008

Thich Nhat Hanh on learning

Do not think that the knowledge you presently possess is changeless, absolute truth. Avoid being narrow-minded and bound to present views. Learn and practice non-attachment from views in order to be open to receive others' viewpoints. Truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. Be ready to learn throughout our entire life and to observe reality in yourself and in the world at all times.

Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education. However, through compassionate dialogue, help others renounce fanaticism and narrowness.

2 comments:

Pequete said...

Wise words...
Já agora, aproveito para te dizer que entre vários pais portugueses com crianças em ensino doméstico, criámos um blogue. Ainda somos poucos e o blogue está mesmo a começar, mas se quiseres dar uma espreitadela, é em:
www.pesnarelva.wordpress.com

laurentius rex said...

Well you wanna know about Zen well I'll teach you sommat 'bout it or I won't cos either you is or you isn't gonna be a listening and I ain't bin the determinator of that.

I seen your daily guanaco fine figure of a tibetan he was, and after listening to him (I even have it on tape somewhere) I reckon this much, saffron shaded shades or whatever and cool cosy robes he is a man after me own heart me old pal me old beauty and his wisdom wern't in his words but in his laugh.

You wouldn't know Zen if it screamed at you but you might if it whispered.

Wanna be me, nah you wouldna. ?!

(was that an interabang or an interabang negative where is Jackie Chan when you want him? Pandas notwithstanding