Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Autism Puzzle

"Filmmaker Saskia Baron has unique insights into autism. Her older brother, Timothy, is profoundly autistic. When he was diagnosed in 1961, his parents found that there was no education available for children with autism their fate was mental handicap hospitals and sedation. Unwilling to accept such a prospect, Timothy's parents got together with other families with autistic children and started the National Autistic Society in 1962. Together, the parents established the first school in the world for autistic children in 1965. Using a recently rediscovered film of that school, the documentary explores how life turned out for the first generation of children to be diagnosed with autism in Britain."

Watch it online: Part 1 - Part 2

1 comment:

laurentius rex said...

That maybe that maybe but that was before Sergeant Pepper formed the band, and that is my history too, I am older than the NAS but have grown up in the same era and it seems history caught up with me eventually.

I am glad to have given that particular historical NAS a healthy kick up the backside.

It is not that I don't appreciate the founders at all heaven knows I have met them, but even then it was my generation they were founding it for and I think we can claim it by rights.