Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Home-ed review: Reply from MP

I have written to Jim Knight, the Education Minister, to tell him of your concern.

I asked him why it was necessary to repeat the process so soon after the publication of the 2007 guidelines and I pointed out that the limited response time makes it difficult for busy home educating parents to respond.

I asked also what the exceptional circumstances of public interest are that justify curtailing the consultation period.

I told Mr Knight of your fears that some local authorities have made unfounded allegations about home education being used as a cover for child abuse and forced marriages and I asked if there was any evidence for this.

I asked the Minister to respond to the points you made to me and to assure you that this is not the an attempt to make life more difficult for those who choose to educate their children at home.

Yours sincerely

Dr Doug Naysmith
Labour/Co-op Member of Parliament for Bristol North West

1 comment:

Carlotta said...

Wow a Labour MP too. Good letter.